10 STATISTICS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT SUICIDE
1. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
2. Each year 42,773 Americans die by suicide.
3. For every suicide, 25 people attempt.
4. On average, there are 117 suicides per day.
5. Over one million people die by suicide worldwide each year.
6. On average, one person dies by suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world.
7. Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for ages 10-24.
8. More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease, combined.
9. Four out of Five teens who attempt suicide have given clear warning signs.
10. Each day in our nation, there are an average of over 5,240 attempts by young people grades 7th-12th.
—Anthem of Hope
If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts, please visit our 24/7 Anthem of Hope LiveChat.